The Adventures of Two Braids and Swift Like the Wind

This is the journal of two first time marathon runners. We are beginning to train with the National Aids Marathon Training Program in order to participate in the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC on October 29.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

For the Spectators!

Marine Corps Marathon!!!

Cheering Guide
There are many opportunities to see me and the other AIDS Marathoners running the marathon. Here is some information from the AIDS Marathon Training Program to let you know where to cheer us!


Starting Area: Cheer us on as we line up to cross the starting line

Crossing Memorial Bridge at Mile 10: Just at Mile 10 on the North side of the Lincoln Memorial as we are coming from the Kennedy Center to run north on Henry Bacon Drive to Constitution Ave. The best cheering area is on the grass on the North side of the Lincoln Memorial. This will require you to walk across Memorial Bridge from Arlington Cemetery.

On Independence Ave. at Miles 14 & 15: A short stroll to the South side of the Mall at Independence Avenue and 17th St. will allow you to see us as we come from Capitol Hill before we head toward the Tidal Basin on Ohio Drive. After we pass, cross to the other side of Independence Ave. (along the Tidal Basin) to see us at mile 15. You can then walk along the course to approximately Mile 15.5/20 near the 14th street Bridge. We will pass back by that area again at Mile 20 on our way to the 14th street Bridge. Please note that if you stay to see us at Mile 20, you may not make it back to the Finish Line before we finish. If you want to see us cross the finish line walk back toward the finish line after we pass you at Mile 15!

Crossing back over the Memorial Bridge & The Finish!: As you walk back across Memorial Bridge heading toward the finish line you will see the runners coming across the 14th Street Bridge and heading North on Highway 110 toward the finish line. You can cheer the runners making the final push on Highway 110. After you have seen your runner finish, you can come to the AIDS Marathon Hospitality Tent just past the Finish Line (near the bell Tower) to meet up with you runner.

General Information

Please check out http://www.marinemarathon.com/page11.aspx/ for information regarding the marathon and your role as a spectator. On the website you can use the interactive course map and spectator guides to help you plan your day! I will start the race in the “Gold Wave” at 8:40 A.M. I run between a 12:00-13:00 pace.

I will be wearing a bright yellow AIDS Marathon tank so you will be able to easily identify our group. My tank will proudly say “Two Braids” so you will know it is me! My bib number is #31957. All runners are equipped with a smart chip to track our time. There are kiosks stationed throughout the course in which you can use my bib # and determine where I am on the course. For more information on this check out the official Marine Corps Marathon website.

Thank you all for your support during these past 6 months of training. I am so excited to running the marathon on Sunday and I look forward to hearing ya’ll hoot and holler as I go running by! If you want something that will be sure to encourage me on my trek through DC I’d love some pretzels that you can hand me as I run by! Tootsie Rolls, Swedish Fish, and Chocolate GU are also gladly welcomed! THANK YOU!!!!

If you have any other questions please email me or call!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly - I couldn't be more proud of you for taking this challenge on!!! Amazing job with your training and fundraising... Good luck on the run this weekend!!! I'll be thinking of you!!!

Lots of love from the London Diva Contingent!
-Blondie

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home