The Adventures of Two Braids and Swift Like the Wind

This is the journal of two first time marathon runners. We are beginning to train with the National Aids Marathon Training Program in order to participate in the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC on October 29.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Only 1 more long run left!

We'll last week I did run the two 10 mile runs back to back on the treadmill. The first 10 wasn't too bad on Thursday night. It was like watching a revolving door of people exercising...and I out lasted them all. The mother on the treadmill while her 6 year old "played" on the weight machines and elliptical that he was much to much small for. And she was a loud flat footed walker...thump thump thump thump over and over as each foot hit the track of the treadmill. The guy who came in for maybe 20 minutes, did the weight machines and left. Two young women ran for a little bit and seemed to disappear before they even had the chance to break a sweat.

I kept time by television. 1/2 hour of Home Improvement. 1/2 hour of Seinfeld. 1/2 hour of Wheel of Fortune. 1/2 hour of Jeopardy! That last 1/2 hour was the easiest by far!

Friday morning it took me a bit longer than I would have liked to get out of bed. Tired, excited for our trip to NC, excited to see old friends, anxious about having to leave Dolly at the vet. The start was a little rough because my legs were a bit stiff and tired. Somehow, I muddled through the next two hours. The local news and The Today Show to help me along.

So now I've done 20 miles-sort of. Day 2 was certainly more difficult but not horrific. I'm nervous about our trial 26 in two weeks. That will be the longest full distance I've run. Hopefully the adrenaline will be pumping and carry me through. It's a great thing to run a test run of the marathon. The crazy thing is that unlike most training programs we actually do run the 26 miles before the actual Marathon. But what a great feeling knowing that I will have actually ran 2 marathons in a year...heck in 1 month!

I'm feeling good. I'm so ready for marathon day to be here.

For someone more crazy than me....check out this guy http://www.endurance50.com/

Until next time-Two Braids

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I just got caught up on your running! You are awesome! Hope you guys are doing well. I hope that we get to see you soon! Tell Phillip hello for me! Take care!
Love,
Ang

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home