The Adventures of Two Braids and Swift Like the Wind

This is the journal of two first time marathon runners. We are beginning to train with the National Aids Marathon Training Program in order to participate in the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC on October 29.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

20 miles!

Last Sunday was the 20 mile run. I was able to complete 16 of the 20 due to pain in my foot. I was afraid to keep running through the pain and then getting to the point of no return if I actually injure myself and can not continue to run. Everything else felt great. I feel that I was mentally prepared and the rest of my body felt good. I just got to the point where the pain in my foot was too much. New shoes are right around the corner and hopefully then my ailments will be relieved.


We had two guest runners at our site this week to run with Tara and I. The two women who ran with us were a sassy mother daughter pair both training for their second marathon. The mother was a powerhouse and reminded me a bit of the Energizer Bunny! We nearly needed a lasso to keep her pulled back and on pace with us. The daughter is an exuberant student finishing up her thesis work at Princeton. She chatted through most of the run keeping us all perked up and distracted from our task at hand as well.



I was able to coax Phillip and Dolly out of bed at 4:30 am on Sunday morning to come out to College Park and serve as water volunteers! It was a great thing to look forward after the first 12 miles of the run and then at the end. Dolly's main job was to be cute which she does with such ease.


Robi has been in Brazil these past few weeks and emailed to say she was successful in running 20 miles! She had this to say "I did it- I ran 20 miles! I ran for FIVE HOURS!!! Who the hell in their right mind RUNS for five hours??? I wasn´t counting on doing it here on the island, but I started to figure out that it is cooler here than in Rio AND there is shade. The places where there are nice, safe paths in Rio are always in the sun. Blech. So I ran through every alleyway imaginable -3 times- in this village, and down the path to the Black Beach about 6 times. Around the soccer field maybe another six...you get the idea. But ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!! I did it!!! The constant drizzle was nice, too."

This week we have the option of 10 miles or 5k (just over 3 miles). Is there really a choice? Hmmmm....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the eye of the tiger, it's the cream of the fight

Risin' up to the challenge of our rival

And the last known survivor stalks her prey in the night

And she's watchin' us all in the eye of the tiger

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home