The Adventures of Two Braids and Swift Like the Wind

This is the journal of two first time marathon runners. We are beginning to train with the National Aids Marathon Training Program in order to participate in the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC on October 29.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Back on my feet

While in Hilton Head I was able to finally start running again! I had been keeping up my heart rate and endurance by doing other forms of cardio like the elliptical machine, walking, and the bike. On Sunday July 30 I convinced Phillip and my little sister, Julia to run with me. As an added bonus I parked the car at the local Bakery. Julia ran a mile out and back, Phillip and I ran a mile out and back, and then all three of us ran a mile out and back. The scheduled run was 8 miles and we did just shy of 7! After the run I treated them to some yummy baked breakfast goodies! My foot did hurt after the run but ice seemed to help me "cool my heals" quite quickly.

This past weekend was the 18 mile run. I guess in the running world most folks training for a marathon know that if they can conquer 18 then they can successfully finish the marathon. I felt great for about the first 10 miles but then my foot started to really hurt. With the advice of our coach I cooled it at the 12 mile mark, waited for my group to circle around and ran in for the last 2 miles. So I was able to complete 14 miles. I was very frustrated and saddened that I was unable to complete the training run. I really wanted to do 18 but I was in a lot of pain. My running mates were great and proud that I stopped instead of letting Pride get in the way and possibly doing more damage to my foot.

The good news in all of this is that I may just have ill fitting shoes and not Plantars Fascitis as originally thought. I'm going to go get re-fitted and buy new shoes. I hope that fixes the problem!

This week I'm back on schedule with training runs and an easy 9 miles this coming Sunday.

Donations keep rolling in and I am inching towards my goal! Thank you so much to all of those who have already donated! If you have not donated and would like to, there is still time. Contributions can be made up until September 1, 2006. If you would like to make a donation by mail please contact me and I will get you the appropriate paperwork or for quick and easy donations simply click on the "Make a Donation" link in the left sidebar of this blog. Also remember that your company may match your contribution. Just ask your Human Resources department if they are a matching gift company and they can give you the appropriate paper work. It can be an easy way to double or even triple your donation.

Please feel free to drop me an email or a comment on my blog. You do not need to be a member of "Blogger" to leave a comment on The Adventures of Two Braids and Swift Like the Wind!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home