The Adventures of Two Braids and Swift Like the Wind

This is the journal of two first time marathon runners. We are beginning to train with the National Aids Marathon Training Program in order to participate in the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC on October 29.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Training Run #1 (for Two-Braids)

Well I was up at the crack of dawn and headed to College Park, MD for my time trial run. Swift Like the Wind is on Training Run #2 at 4.0 miles.

I ran the 3 mile pace run in 36.10 minutes and placed in the Joan Benoit Samuelson group. This group is smackdab in the middle of all the running packs. Robi will actually join my group next week as she felt she was running a bit too slow in the Jack Foster group. Next week or the week after the "second starters" as we are called (those who didn't get their pace group set last week) will catch up with the group by jumping to 5 or 6 miles.

It was a tough run because you really do run the pace setting run alone. No one next to you to keep you motivated, no one to tell you you can do it, no one to talk to. I felt like the 3 miles were just going to keep on stretching out longer and longer. It was such a relief to get to the end and be assigned to a pace group. Once I hit that small milestone all I could think about was how hungary and thirsty I was! The thought of eating on the trail--while running--almost sounds appealing after today. I wonder if I can pack srammbled eggs and bacon into the pocket of my Camelback?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home