The Adventures of Two Braids and Swift Like the Wind

This is the journal of two first time marathon runners. We are beginning to train with the National Aids Marathon Training Program in order to participate in the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC on October 29.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Boy it's gettin' HOT!

Let me catch up with maintenance runs first. Swift Like the Wind and I both did our "homework" this week and kept up with our maintenance runs. I think I have resigned to doing these runs on the treadmill so I can at least watch syndicated sitcoms to cure my boredom. Although, the Tuesday run wasn't too bad because I was revved up from my hour and a half visit with the DMV! That's enough to keep you ticked off long enough to pound on the pavement!

Our Training run today was a total of 6 miles. Our group dwindled to only 3 people because of the holiday weekend. It is certainly beginning to heat up out on the trail too. I need to ditch my lycra "yoga pants" for some cool and more breathable shorts! The run felt great to accomplish but was quite a challenge for me, as last week I only ran 4 miles and this week jumped up by 2 miles for the 6 mile total run. We finished our trek in one hour and 19 minutes, right on pace.

Next week we are meeting at 7 am! to beat the heat. We, however, will both be in Ohio and forced to do our 7 mile runs solo (unless of course we can coerce our family members into running with us!)

The only other interesting thing to report is that we had our first taste of all the funky new gels and gus to eat on the run for a burst of energy. We learned that chocolate "GU" tastes like chocolate frosting but Clif Shot "Sonic Strawberry" tastes like a Brazilian aperitif of fermented fruit and sugar cane alcohol! We're hoping to discover more palatable flavors or that the "just plain" really is "just plain".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home