The Adventures of Two Braids and Swift Like the Wind

This is the journal of two first time marathon runners. We are beginning to train with the National Aids Marathon Training Program in order to participate in the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC on October 29.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Update

Run Forrest Run...

The maintenance runs seem to be getting easier and less of a mental block. I did have a little soreness two weeks ago so I mostly walked my run. Then I hit a break through and was finally able to run past the 30 minute mark. I felt so good, I just kept on running. The time on the treadmill finally seemed to set me free.

Last Sunday I talked my mom into going to the Y with me so I could run and she could work out. 7 miles on a treadmill is a different creature. Once you stop for a bathroom break the treadmill resets itself and you feel as though you are starting from scratch. It wasn't terrible but certainly not ideal. I kept good pace and did the 7 miles in around 1 hour 45 minutes.

Swift Like the Wind sweet talked her husband into joining her on her run! Nothing like jumping in at the 7 mile mark. She calculated her run at 7.5 or nearly 8 miles because they were running in a residential area it wasn't easy to tell exactly when the 7 mile mark was even with her pedometer calculating the distance.

Tomorrow we are up and at 'em at 7am and will be pounding the pavement for 8 miles. Each week although the runs get longer, seems to be a little easier that the last. My legs don't seem to hurt as much after each run now either!

Small success.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A week without an update?! Get to it!!!

Saw you on the treadmill Friday when picking up a package. I couldn't imagine going 7 miles in that room, especially since I havne't found a way to change the channel on the damn TVs.

Keep it up! Looks like things are going well. BTW--Are you going to shave your head for the final marathon to reduce drag?

10:11 PM  
Blogger Two Braids said...

Dear White Devil....

Don't you know that I am nothing but high speed low drag???

Sorry to disapoint you but I'll be racing with my braids in tact!

You change the channels with the "remote" --you know the 4 foot by 1 inch dowel rod. I of course figured that out right away!

Stay tuned.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was illegal to pull that out in public.

Actually, I never knew it was there. Probably thought it was an extra piece off one of the weight machines.

And Tactical Cracker is in a lot of trouble...Was surprised to hear you say HSLD. You either "talk the talk" while we're not around, or you never forget. If the latter, I'll be watching my step. :)

Hydrate or die, they say.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of hydrate...friend is training for a similar deal and wants to know what you drink during your runs. Straight water, diluted sports drink, something else?

8:46 AM  
Blogger Two Braids said...

Dear White devil,

I personally drink water on my runs. I've thougth about beer...you know all those great carbs....but didn't like the idea of warm beer.

Actually, water is my primary hydration method but this week out on the trail they had gatorade available so I downed some of that. I usually drink a 20oz gatorade as soon as I get home from a long run. I also heard that a glass of milk, chocolate milk, or best choice Ovaltine is great after a long run because of all the great vitamins and minerals help build your muscles back up and clean out the crap that builds up in them to sustain you while running.

A co-runner carries a "Fuel Belt" with 2 bottles of water, 1 bottle of water with a bit of honey, and 1 bottle of water with a bit of maple syrup. This gives her just a bit of sugar to fuel her while running because she basically practices a sugar free diet.

The key is to hydrate often, everyday. Hydration is a process, not an event.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home