The Adventures of Two Braids and Swift Like the Wind

This is the journal of two first time marathon runners. We are beginning to train with the National Aids Marathon Training Program in order to participate in the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC on October 29.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Rookie Mistake?

As I was getting ready to go to sleep on Sunday evening, and I slid my foot under the sheets, I felt as if the "pressure" from the sheet was a bit much on my toe. Realizing that it is not normal for a bed sheet to feel like it is hurting a toe, I had my husband investigate the toe in question with his high output tactical flashlight. "You got some funk under that toenail." We first assumed I had an ingrown toenail that was possibly infected. However, after closer inspection, and triming the toenail in the morning, I realized it wasn't "funk" but blood under the nail. Seems as though I had the toenails too long and it was getting aggitated by the pressure in the toe box of my running shoes from the forward momentum! I related this gruesome story to a friend of mine that has competed in two maratons, and she assured me, that oh, yes, You may have a few toenails die and fall off! Guess I just learned this the hard way.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You got some funk under that toenail." Ah yes, could only come from the Tactical CRACKer.

We're saving pups teeth as they fall out as part of our "memories". Maybe you want to save the toenails as part of your memories, too? ;)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Two Braids said...

You're gross....although I did save my wisdom teeth and retainers...

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my.....

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home