The Adventures of Two Braids and Swift Like the Wind

This is the journal of two first time marathon runners. We are beginning to train with the National Aids Marathon Training Program in order to participate in the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC on October 29.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

A different kind of cheering section

This past weekend I breezed through a short 6 mile recovery run. Now that we are at the 1/2 way mark we will alternate weeks between long runs and shorter recovery runs. It made the 6 miles seem like nothing but I am nervous about the upcoming 14 miles this weekend.

As I ran I enjoyed all the cool North Carolina morning had to offer. Soft sun rays gearing up to full power, the sight of dew rising off the tall grass and hay fields, the smell of something sweet in the air. Also propelling me around the loop by my in-laws house was a cheering section of sorts. The rooster trying to coax others out of bed, donkeys in the neighboring pasture, a rabbit quietly hopping through the grass, numerous dogs barking with each passing bend, a flock of birds which I seemed to startle as the morning broke, and a few horses running along side me in their pasture, curious as to what I was doing.

I would welcome this special cheering section more often if I had the chance. I will have to make sure the sights, sounds, and smells of this run keep vigil in my mind as I set out to run 14 miles this weekend and in the weeks to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home