The Adventures of Two Braids and Swift Like the Wind

This is the journal of two first time marathon runners. We are beginning to train with the National Aids Marathon Training Program in order to participate in the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC on October 29.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Time to recuperate

Today's run was 14 miles!! It's so awesome to realize that the 10 mile run or even the 12 mile run is now "easy" and we just breeze past that point on the trail. Fourteen was no tip toe through the tulips but it did go very well. I was nervous about this distance because of it's sheer length and because I only got one maintenance run this week and it was a short one at that. But 14 felt pretty darn good, better than I expected. I was the only runner in our group today but another runner who has been recuperating from injury and trying to figure out where he needs to be in terms of pace, ran with me. We finished the distance in just over 3 hours.

The down side of this is that it appears I am developing "Planters Fasciitis" which is a tenderness in the foot. It generally causes heel and bone spurs. I am experiencing pain on the outside of my left foot. It hurts after long runs but I don't notice it on a daily basis. So for the next week I'll rest, ice, stretch and work out the pain in my foot by rolling it over a tennis ball. I should be able to nip this in the bud and be recuperated for the 16 mile run. But I'm playing it safe so that I can continue training and run the marathon.

Swift like the wind had a difficult time with her 14 miles today. I was kidding her that she would now be "Runs with a Limp." She is still vacationing in Maine and had to deal with the hills around time. Today also happened to be the hottest day yet! She said she was doing well until about mile 10 when she was just aching in her knees, lower back, and feet. Her husband was driving behind her ready and waiting to refill her water bottles and snap a few photos. She managed to finish the distance but it took her a greater time mainly due to the inclines.

The only other thing to report out is regarding Clif Shot Recovery powder. I found this stuff at a local outdoors store back home. It was French Vanilla flavor! The mix has all sorts of good stuff to help you eliminate the lactic acid in your muscles, replenish electrolytes, etc. It doesn't smell great but the taste isn't too shabby! A packet makes an 8 oz. drink so it is quick to drink. I honestly don't feel like my legs are as tight as normal so maybe it was worth it!

Until next time,

Two Braids

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home